Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Santorini: The volcano hike and boat cruise

The climb to the top of the volcano. (Still active, by the way.) The volcano has erupted several times. The last time was 1954. Santorini is basically thousands of years of volcanic matter that has built on top of itself. The caldera that surrounds the island is the largest volcano crater in the world (and I swam in it!)


Um, guys. Can you wait for me?


Big volcanic rock


It was either big rocks like this, or small tiny pebbles that I had to walk on. Not easy.
What happens if I choose the wrong path?

A view of Santorini from the sea.






This was the view for my lunch. The boat pulled into this seaside town and I ate rooftop with the sound of the waves and the sea air. I met three lovely ladies on the boat who joined me for this wonderfully simple meal. Lunch consisted of a grilled calamari shish-ka-bob. I'm sure it was caught just an hour or so before I devoured it. It was grilled with just a few simple, small pieces, of vegetables. It tasted of salt and freshness. The view helped enhance the taste.



This is the same type of boat that I was on.

Right after I came out of the "hot springs" (they were more luke-warm than hot.) I had to swim through the 60 degree water to get to the luke-warm springs and then swim back through the freezing water to get back on the boat. The boat directors didn't think this plan through. I jumped in without a thought to the temperature or what might be swimming underneath me. (A small scream was emitted when I came up for air. Um, burr.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home