Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Delos

Delos is the birthplace of Apollo.
During the Hellenistic period the city was a major port of trade both in terms of goods and slaves. The city had no planning in terms of building or population control, thus is suffered from poor planning and over-crowding. At its height over 30,000 people lived there. The architecture of the homes and buildings started in Delos and then was copied in parts of Italy and Pompeii. The houses were made of granite, mud, and stone and the main source of light came from oil lamps, candles, and the homes also had no roofs.



The theater of Delos





The museum of Delos








Yep, it's a giant penis.

Yep, it's an alter to the almighty penis.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic pictures, Party Girl. I want to travel to Europe and make my way to all of the great cities.

BTW, I see the Greeks weren't nearly as subtle about good old phallus worship as our society is today. ;-)

8:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Nick said...

Very nice pictures. One word for you to consider though... Flickr!

8:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Party Girl said...

Nick: I's cornfused. I'm using flickr and I don't really care for the site. I am up for other suggestions.

Or am I missing the point of your comment?

8:57 AM PDT  
Blogger Nick said...

I guess you didn't. I use Flickr and love the site, and like how it works. I prefer it over just dumping photos on a blog myself.

But... to each their own. I didn't know if you used it is all. I know a bunch of people who surprisingly haven't heard of it... and I'm kind of a Flickr evangalist.

11:12 AM PDT  
Blogger Amit said...

Yes, you are right - I am new to your blog(s) and I absolutely love the photoblogging you do. And you've been to Boston! I thought the "summer" photoseries was very creative. Next time you're in Boston, let me know.

11:51 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

6:04 PM PDT  
Blogger Cedar said...

I just popped over here to say thank you for turning me on to Tom O'Brien. I have now started my second book by him and have purchased two others. Thanks again.

7:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Party Girl said...

Cedar: well, thank you for the thanks, and I am very glad you like his writing.

What books have you read and what two have you recently purchased?

I am currently reading "Going After Cacciato"

8:53 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home